Friday, April 24, 2009

Times are changing....

Tonight at dinner we were asking Isaac about the games he plays at recess. Lately, he's been playing a war game they call "Attack" where there are two opposing teams at war with one another and they have their own towers, etc. He told us that his teacher said they couldn't play it anymore, to which we agreed was a good idea.

Eric: "It's probably better that you don't fight at recess anyway."

Isaac: "Oh, we don't fight. We're not allowed to touch each other. If anyone touches someone during recess, the whole class has to go in."

Eric: "Wow, that's a pretty strict rule. So much for tag."

Isaac: (very brightly) "We play 'shadow' tag!"

It struck us funny and led us into a discussion of how times are changing. I can't think of a game I ever played at recess (besides making mud pies) that we didn't touch. Also, Eric tried to pick up a picture of Ashlyn at Wal-Mart today and they wouldn't let him because his name wasn't on the order. The guy knew who I was, quickly associated Eric with me, knew exactly what picture it was and what it was for, had my phone number to verify our marital bliss AND had a family picture of us all smiling together in the same file, but still wouldn't give it to him in case he was a pedofile. Eric wasn't too happy since he made a special trip there to get it and then I had to make another special trip to pick it up. The things you have to worry about! On the upside - the guy was very nice about it! :)

Some time changes are great, though. I'm LOVING having Eric home! He deserves this vacation after surviving four years of med school (Have I mentioned how PROUD I am of him?). I just hope that he can survive us these next two months!

2 comments:

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

kids nowadays are so smart.

Janene said...

Yeah, what happened to the Smurfs and running barefoot through all the neighbors UN-fenced backyards?!?!