Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On to Aunt Kimmie's!

After the reunion, we went back to Cari's for a week and then we headed to St. John's, AZ to spend time with Kimberly and her family. The first part of the week was AWESOME! The kids took care of each other, Kim took care of what she needed to (that's what I tell myself, anyway) and I read two and a half books. I'd break in the evening and play cards and went on a couple of morning walks with Kimberly, but other than that it was HEAVEN! Oh, and we did go to Show Low for Kimberly's dentist appointment, but I just sat in the car for two hours and read, then we did a little shopping. The weather was beautiful. It was high 70s, low 80s during the day, and then it would cloud up and rain in the evenings. The kids had a blast playing with cousins. Carter especially, since he had two other little boys who love guns and cowboys even more than he does. One of the highlights was the "slip and slide." Only in St. Johns would you bust out the tarp and hose it down. They loved it!


I of course had to strip Ashlyn down. If we were using a tarp instead of a slip and slide, I saw no problem with using a diaper instead of a swimsuit!


Ashlyn's favorite toy was Aunt Kimmie's rocking horse.
The second half of the week was filled with Pioneer Day celebrations. We started off with a rodeo and I was in SOOOO much trouble that I didn't bring Carter's boots. How could I forget such a thing? He still brings it up that we better not forget them next time we go to Arizona! Fortunately, we were able to round up some cowboy clothes and here are the handsomest boys all dudded out.

Trace, Carter, and Cody
And here they are at the big rodeo! Does life get any better?

Some of the Herring's friends had horses and gave the boys a ride. Carter only lasted a few minutes before he wanted off, but loved it just the same. Isaac got a really long ride and had a smile so big when he got back it took up his whole face. It wouldn't surprise me if the smile had more to do with the girl than the horse!


I got Carter his hotdog and he headed out away from everyone and plopped down to eat it. I thought he looked pretty cute.

Kortlynn kept Ashlyn entertained with her tunes. She was an AWESOME entertainer all week!

That night was the big family dance. Carter and Ashlyn completely melted, so I stayed home with them and sent Isaac with everyone else. Doesn't he look ready for some groovin'?
We also went to an icecream social, and a couple of picnics. But the grand finale of the week was the 24th of July parade. They actually throw candy (nobody does in Texas) AND it was an election year, so there were triple the floats, which equals triple the candy.

Alexa, Cody, Kortlynn, Madisen, Isaac, Trace and Carter

It takes SOOOO long between floats!

At the end the firetrucks came and hosed all of the kids off. Carter didn't want anything to do with it, but Isaac and his cousins were soaked in no time.

The load!
Thanks Kimberly for a great week. Anytime you want me to come so you can take care of me, I'll be there! Make your way to Texas and I'll return the favor!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Always ready and willing for a little company here in St. John's! We had lots of fun and were so glad you came!

I will start collecting books and when I've found enough we will head to Texas for a "little" fun! LOL!