Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Welcome to Arizona

One of the things about Tucson, is that the beauty of the desert lies in your own front yard. I have my own love and appreciation for the desert, but I prefer it in places other than the front of my house. I think Ashlyn now does, too. We have a prickly pear cactus (sorry, but it's at the top of the list of things to go) by our driveway that was way to tempting to her this evening. Eric told her not to touch it, but of course, she just couldn't resist. Prickly pears have these tiny, hairlike prickles that you can barely see and sting really bad. When she came in the house, she had hundreds in the tips of her fingers, her hands, her arm, her back (not sure how that one happened) and her leg. I got out as much as I could with tweezers, which in turn afflicted me with a few, and then tried to get the remaining out with duct tape. She went to bed with both arms and a leg straight up in the air and she refuses to put them down. I feel so sorry for her, but can't think of anything else to do. I tried the Epson salt soak on my own and it was less than helpful. Those are just about all the tips the internet had to offer. Hopefully the rest will go away on their own soon. At least she'll never touch the cactus again.... Welcome to Arizona!

3 comments:

Briana said...

Oh, poor thing! It's like the equivalent of TX welcoming you with an ant hill!!

daveandlisa said...

That is so funny cause Kadyn had that same problem that same night that Eric so strongly suggested over and over that they don't touch the cactus. As Kadyn was climbing in the car she just started screaming that her hand hurt. When I looked at it I could see all of the microscopic cactus needles sticking out. I didn't feel too bad since we had told them over and over not to touch it so I told her to deal with it until we got home. I got what I could out and then told her to just go to bed and she'd be all better in the morning. Thankfully she was, but it was pretty sad and there's really not that much you can do since they are so tiny.

Kori said...

Ooo... That makes me so sad for your little girl. I know when Eleni had a handful of splinters one time, Gene went in while she was sleeping with a flashlight and got a bunch of them out like that. I don't know if you can do that though cuz they're so tiny.