Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Poor baby!

Sunday, Ian had his most miserable day ever! We had no idea what his issues were, we just knew he had major ones. He cried that whole night and his demeanor didn't change when he woke up Monday morning. He had a bit of a fever, but it didn't seem to add up to how sad he was. When I put him in his highchair for breakfast, he kept trying to eat his food with his mouth. When he couldn't reach it, he finally decided to try with his hand. When he couldn't quite get it to his mouth and was shaking all over, I knew something was definitely wrong. I took him to the pediatrician, we got x-rays of his forearm and elbow, but nothing showed up. We still didn't know what the matter was (besides double ear infections - that explains the fever and part of the misery). She sent him home in a sling and told me to call the pediatric orthopedist in the morning if things didn't get better. Doesn't he play the ailing boy well?

By evening, I had decided it was something with his hand. When Eric got home, he figured out it was something with his wrist. He made a splint, which seemed to help, and the baby zonked. It had been a hard day!

I took him to the pediatric orthopedist this morning, and after another x-ray, he found a slight chip off of his radius bone. No idea how that happened! So he casted him up, and he's a whole new boy.
He's still having a hard time crawling, especially on the hard floors, because his cast slips, but I'm sure he'll get the hang of it soon. Or maybe he'll finally learn to walk.....

7 comments:

CMortenson said...

oh i'm so glad you got it figured out! i wonder how that happened??!! crazy. glad he's feeling better though.

our little family said...

Poor guy! No wnder he was fussy on sunday at church. I'm glad you figured it out and that he is feeling better!

Briana said...

Bless his sweet little heart! It's so hard when they can't tell you what is wrong. I'm glad you got it all figured out and hopefully he'll be good as new very soon!

Emily said...

Poor little guy. He does look pretty sad/but completely adorable in the picture with the sling on. Jackson wants to have a play date with Ian. We will have to schedule something sometime soon!!

daveandlisa said...

That is so sad! Eric was telling us about it today when I took him and Dave to the airport. I can't believe he broke his little wrist. Poor little Ian.

DNAgallows said...

Oh, poor guy! Poor mom! I am sure he will be forced to walk now. Haven't you learned that we are not in a hurry for our children to walk. I wish you all the best!

Allison said...

poor little boy! He is so darn cute...and your haircuts end up like mine! Last Sunday a girl from the ward offered to show me some tricks to cutting hair! They were that bad!