Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Forgot to Knock on Wood....WHY????

Sunday we had Stake Conference in Killeen (30 min. away). We were 1 minute away from the parking lot when Ashlyn decided to lose her breakfast all over herself. So we pulled up, I pushed out Eric and the boys and poor Starla who was sitting next to her, cleaned Ashlyn up with wipies as best I could and headed back home. She had been showing some signs of tummy trouble in the wee hours of the morning, but I had thought it had to do with her choice of dinner the night before and my superb mother skills! Last week when we left her with my in-laws, she puked in the car for them, so then I thought maybe she's starting to get really car sick, or perhaps my mother-in-law talked her into paybacks! But alas, that wasn't the case either. At least she only threw up one more time and was a really happy girl most of the day. If only she would have kept it to herself!

Yesterday I took Ashlyn and Carter to Wal-Mart to do some grocery shopping. Halfway through (at the point where you're going to finish, even if it kills you) Ashlyn starts screaming and holding her ears, yelling "I hurts!" "I hurts!" while Carter starts moaning that his tummy doesn't feel good. They were happy all morning long, couldn't they have let me know sooner? By the time we got to the check out line, Ashlyn was under control, but Carter's moaning was increasing with a few tears attached. I grabbed a Wal-Mart bag and handed it to him - just in case. I was really hoping that he wouldn't need it, but of course he did. Luckily (for the Wal-Mart employees and other vulnerable shoppers who accidently picked the wrong line), he had good aim and the bag caught it all. I finished up and headed out the door with a cart loaded with groceries, balancing Ashlyn with the hand I'm pushing the cart with, and Carter slung over my shoulder. No, there wasn't a "Ma'am, would you like help out with your groceries today?" That's okay. I can handle anything! :) That's why when I got to the car and everyone and everything was loaded I called Eric and said, "I need help!" Okay, so it wasn't so much an exclamation mark urgent call, more of a whiny, I'm tired with no sleep call. Being the good husband that he his, he ended his golf game (4th year is finally paying off) and headed straight home. He unloaded the groceries from the car while I played nursemaid. Isn't he great?

Carter had it much worse then Ashlyn. He threw up several times yesterday. He was so thirsty, but every time he took a sip, up it came. He finally turned a corner that evening and was sneaking upstairs to "go to the bathroom" so that he could drink water out of the sink. I wasn't about to give him anymore!

Isaac has been avoiding the younger two's illnesses so far, but not this time! At about 4:45 this morning I hear, "Moooommm!" Yep, all over his bed. He seems to be handling it more like Ashlyn, but poor Carter had an attack of "sneaky poo" this morning and has already vomitted again.

So, previously when I said that we were all healthy and happy, I forgot to knock on wood. But we sure did enjoy Friday and Saturday while they lasted!

Sorry for all of the details! :)

5 comments:

Robin Conner said...

Oh you poor thing. And your Wal-Mart experience is one to try and forget, ugg, that's so hard juggling groceries, sick kids and a puke bag! kudos to you mom. You need a day off! But we all know we never get one. But you are doing great and hopefully you won't get the 'barfs' once they are all better. Nothing worse then cleaning up clothes and bedding with puke and poop! Yuck! good luck and I hope it passes soon for your sake! ;)

Chelle said...

Oh, the joys. You can never get away with just one kid having the pukes.

Allison said...

Kids are the grossest things ever! Mac had the vomits and I do not do well with kid vomit at all. I was rushing him to the bathroom, vomiting myself (cause I really can't handle it) and yelling for David to come take over. Mac started bawling with the aweful sounds I was making and thought he was in trouble! Good times! I have also been known to throw some newspaper down over the vomit if my kids don't make it to the bathroom! David knows its been a hard day when he comes home to patches of newspaper!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

I'm sorry to hear they are sick. I hope they can get better soon. I hate that Wal-Mart is not as polite and kind to offer some help. That's why I buy at HEB...most of the time lol. Hang in there.

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

Hey, I sympathize with the kids vomiting situation... because I went thru the same thing (throwing up in a few Walmart bags... but at home)! I was wondering who would have given me those bugs... and then I remember we came on Sunday evening and Carter and Issac were holding my hands and swing left and right as they said that they were surfing... ha!!