Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bountiful Baskets

Truth be told, I'm not much of a coupon clipper. I love a good deal, but it has to basically fall in my lap. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars at one grocery store than save a few dollars after searching ads, finding coupons, and driving to three different grocery stores. I finally found a deal that I couldn't pass up, despite the extra effort. I think it was the adventure aspect that really grabbed me.

At 6:30 this morning I loaded my kids up and headed to my Bountiful Baskets pick-up site. Bountiful Baskets is a non-profit organization put together by some moms to save money on produce. I'm not sure how it all actually works, or how it got so big, but I'm hooked! Every other weekend they bring produce to different drop-off sites all over Arizona, Utah, and one site each in Idaho and Washington. You pay $16.50 ($15.00 + $1.50 handling) for a laundry basket full of fruits and vegetables. They also offer other deals. I went in on a 40lb box of pears. My portion - 10lbs - cost me $3! Seriously - Can you beat that? The fun part is not knowing what you are getting. It's totally random, but my kids had such a good time laying out the spread to see what we got and it was good!

This week's basket had 1 cantalope, 1 carton of raspberries, 4 mini cucumbers, two bunches of bananas, 8 apples, 1 bunch of green leaf lettuce, 5 tomatos, 4 artichokes, a bunch of purple grapes, 7 plums, 7 pears, a head of brocoli, and a 10 lb bag of potatos. Not bad! One of the pears was rotten, but everything else looked great. We had the cantalope for breakfast and it was delicious! If you want more info on it, their website is www.bountifulbaskets.org and there is a bit more info at http://theobsessiveshopper.net/ Enjoy the bounty!

4 comments:

Robin Conner said...

That is really cool! I wish they had something like that here! That is awesome!

Steph Thomas said...

That is AWESOME!! Too bad that deal isn't here in Texas. I guess we will just have to move back to AZ.

Jen said...

I am not much of a coupon clipper either. Too much time and hassle for me. But I do love bountiful baskets. we do it every once in while. I used to do all the time. I love it.

cms87 said...

Ok, I am way jealous. That looks so cool. I wish that they had one here!