Sunday, September 11, 2011

Functional

Friday I was in the grocery store and we were having an above normal good experience. It had started out bad, with me trying to force Ian in the basket and him screaming and trying to jump out. So I gave in, because I really needed groceries, and let him walk and ride on the side. Besides it taking us twice as long, we actually had a pretty good time. When we were checking out, both Ashlyn and Ian were helping to put the groceries on the belt and then the bags in the cart. There was no screaming, no grabbing things, no "mean face" mom, etc. As we were about to leave, an older gentlemen behind me asked if I could handle a compliment.
"Sure," I said.
"It has been a joy watching you and your functional family. It has been a real treat. Thank you."
"Thank you. I have really great kids."
"Yes you do."
And then I walked away with watery eyes because we had been functional and I really do have great kids. So often I feel like we're barely hanging in there and I forget to notice how lucky I am and what a wonderful family I have. Every day isn't perfect - I was lucky he didn't see me earlier in the store - but so many minutes are. I appreciate that man for taking a moment to make my day and help me count my blessings.

Here are a few pictures that I downloaded. I'm not sure where Carter has been, but Ian has no problem finding the camera!

Isaac had his first rocket derby. It wasn't going as well as he'd hoped. He'd been pretty unlucky with broken rocket parts and snapping rubber bands.

Fortunately he was still able to have a good time. He gave me this goofy pose right before my camera died. It's all I got!

Ian is a constant source of stinkerness. Piano and homework is an interesting production at our house. Ian's usually pounding away, but he can't resist a "cheese" opportunity.


He loves wearing hats and they're always on backwards. He knows he's pretty cool...


Ashlyn just wanted in on the picture taking action.


More cheese!


Last Sunday we went to Phoenix for my brother's baby blessing and were so lucky that our awesome friends from med school, Polly and Santino, were blessing their baby the same day. David and Amanda (also great med school friends) were able to be there, too. After we left, Eric and I were talking about how we felt just as good and happy seeing them as we had felt with our family earlier that day. We are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends. We couldn't have made it through med school without them and love that they will forever be a part of our lives.

Eric, Aubrey, David, Amanda, Polly, Santino

Isaac was getting ready for soccer practice and couldn't resist giving me a pose. Awesome goalie block if I do say so myself!


He had his first game on Saturday and did great! They tied 2-2. He played hard and kept running even though he was really pooped and ready to quit. He didn't play goalie, but did a fabulous job at defense and forward.

Ian has decided to take after his brother and play soccer, too. He got the shin guards right, but I'm afraid he'll have to trade in my flip flops for cleats!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Cute! What a nice compliment:) Its hard to keep it all together! You are a great Mom!

Steph Thomas said...

I remember you guys talking about Polly and Santino. That is awesome to have such good friends you went through so much with close by.
What a great compliment. I am glad that guy said something to you. I think more women need to be complimented. Way to go!

Polly said...

Amen! :) We were so glad how well it worked out that day you guys were able to come to Kaian's baby blessing! Sorry I haven't blogged nor visit people's blog in a looooong time, but just wanna write something here to tell you guys how great it felt to see you all that day. I was a little sad when we had to say goodbye! We need to get together more often!