Friday, November 2, 2007

Our Not So Fun Halloween

About 12:30am, Halloween morning, Carter came into our room (not an unlikely event) and as I was taking him back to bed, he said "Isaac needs you." When I get to their room Isaac is on his bed shaking and crying and he had sent Carter in to get me because he couldn't get down his ladder. After holding him for awhile I took him into Eric and told him something wasn't right. He put his expertise to good use and decided we better take him in. He thought that Isaac had appendicitis. After a night of Disney channel cartoons, 20 oz of contrast for his CT (not as good as he had hoped), a CT, and a mean ol' IV, the Dr.'s confirmed Eric's suspicions and they admitted Isaac. When Eric was taking him down for his CT, he told Isaac, "I bet you never thought you'd get to go inside a big camera." To which Isaac responded, "I never thought I'd be a battery!" They gave him nausea medication and some antibiotics, so Isaac actually started feeling fine. He was ready to jump out of bed so that he would be home in time for trick or treating. His face fell, his eyes filled up with tears, and his lip started to quiver when I told him we wouldn't be able to make it home. He ended up having a better Halloween in the hospital than he would have at home. Minus his costume, he still got candy, painted a pumpkin, watched movies, got new toys, and was waited on hand and foot. They finally took him into surgery around 5:00pm and he was zonked out until 12:30am. We told him that they were going to "fix" him, but I guess we didn't explain well enough because he freaked out when he saw his bandage. He does NOT like surgery, but is getting over it. We finally convinced him to walk a little today and that perked him up. So much for Superman this year!

One day after surgery. Not feeling so hot.

Two days after surgery. Life is getting a little better!

7 comments:

Binghams said...

Poor little guy! When I got my appendix out when I was 8 I was in the hospital for three days and I have a huge scar to prove it! I hear now it's very minor. Looks like he pulled through just fine. So sorry for the bummer, though. Hope you feel better soon, Isaac!

Becky said...

Dang, that's no fun. It's cool that they make halloween fun for him though. Hope he feels better soon!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Poor little Isaac. We are so glad that you are fine, and getting better. You are a special boy.

Steph Thomas said...

That is so sad, especially when he got tears in his eyes when he wasn't going to make it home for trick-or-treating. I am glad he is doing better. Bummer Halloween.

Polly said...

So, yeah, what do you say? We are still up for another trick or treat night for Issac. If you want to get rid of your candies... (I talked to Amanda today and she agreed, too!) Let us know.

Allison said...

Poor Isaac! I would totally dress up and let him come tick or treat at my house when he feels better if I lived closer! So good that Cater was awake to help! What a good little brother!

Jen said...

So I am really behind on my blogging. it has been one of those months!
Poor little Isaac. Did it have to be Halloween? I am glad he still had a good day and that surgery all went alright.