Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Weekend of Gratitude!

I spent this last weekend down in Arizona for my Grandpa Buck's funeral and it was a WONDERFUL weekend! While I was there, I couldn't help but think about so many different things that I am grateful for. Here are just a few...

I am thankful for my GRANDPA!

Funerals are great. Of course we miss the one that is gone, but it's such a wonderful time to celebrate their life. I learned a lot of things about my grandpa that I had never known before and I am proud of the legacy that he left me. He was definitely a unique individual and will be missed, but fortunately my brother, Steven, is carrying on some of his more notable traits! :)

I am thankful for my FAMILY!

ERIC AND THE KIDS - I was SOOOO excited to have a weekend ALL to myself! I left all three kids with Eric and headed off to AZ. Packing was great, the plane trip was a breeze, traveling to Thatcher and back was a piece of cake, not to mention the viewing, funeral, etc. Everything a mom dreams of, right? I hadn't been in the air ten minutes before I wanted my family with me. This weekend I realized that despite the hardships of motherhood (there are many days I think I'd give them all back in a flash!), the greatest joy in my life is being a mom. And life just isn't as sweet without my one and only by my side (and not just because the trash doesn't get taken out!). Cody finally put his foot down when I tried to hold his hand walking back to the car from the cemetary. "Aub, I'm your brother!"

MY SIBLINGS - I cried a lot this weekend, but about 75% of it was from hysterics, not mourning. I rarely laugh with anybody the way that I laugh with my brothers and sisters. True, most of it was at Stacie's expense (she's just so easy!), but it was really good for me all the same. I must have had my lucky rabbit's foot handy when sibling lots were cast.

MY MOTHERS - I'm thankful for my birth mother. Everyday I notice things that have her hand in them. Whether it's something she made, things she taught me, things my siblings do that are just like her, or habits I've picked up from her. It's nice that she's still such a presence in my life. I'm thankful for my wonderful step-mother. Again, I must have had my lucky rabbit's foot when Dad was looking around again. Every time I'm in Thatcher I count my blessings. She's very loving and accepting of each one of us and a person that I'd love to grow up to be just like. The only thing I'd change is not being closer to get to know her all the better. I've been out of state ever since she joined our family. It was a lot of fun to celebrate her birthday this weekend and to actually be there! I'm thankful for my mother-in-law. She has truly accepted me as one of her own and I feel just as loved as if I were her own blood. Eric agrees - always pouting that his mommy likes me better than him! (Who wouldn't? :)) She never hesitates to rearrange her schedule, drive lots of miles, take the kids, offer help, keep me sane, come to soccer games or whatever it may be, even though it is often inconvenient for her. I feel completely comfortable with her and am glad to not have to experience all of the dreaded "mother-in-law horrors" that are often portrayed and probably true in today's society.

I am thankful for a PROPHET!

It was such a neat thing to stand and sustain President Monson as the new prophet, seer, and revelator. Its such a blessing to know that God has placed a "watchman on the tower" and that the heavens are open and that there is a man on earth that God speaks to. We're not alone! We all loved President Hinckley very much, but as I stood to offer my support to President Monson, I knew that this was right and I look forward to the many years that I will be able to sustain him as a prophet over and over again.


I'm pretty blessed, huh?

6 comments:

DNAgallows said...

You are very blessed! Thanks for sharing and remind me of my own blessings.

spice2116 said...

your family rocks!!!! i am so grateful to have cari she is such a help as try to finish this last month in az.

Steph Thomas said...

That was a very nice tribute to everybody. You are definitely feeling the gratitude of many people around you that love you so much. Of course, who couldn't:)

Binghams said...

Thank you for your sweet thoughts! It made my all choked up! Love ya!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Aubrey your are indeed very blessed. Thank you for sharing this with everybody. You and your family are wonderful. A great example to follow.

Kerrie said...

Love it. Thanks for your thankfulness! It made me tear up! I agree that your mothers are amazing! I love thinking of your Moms! What memories we have! Your sibs are hilarious and as you talked about laughing i could totally see you laughing and crying! I remember those days! There's nothing like laughing with family! I'm the same way! The humor hits the right spot when you're with family. Thanks for your testimony too. I loved confrence!