Monday, August 3, 2009

First Day of School

Today was Isaac's first day of the second grade at Twin Peaks Elementary School.


Ashlyn wanted her picture taken with Isaac on his big day.

He's been so ready to get going with school again and to make new friends. Surprisingly, I was the one who had a hard time. I wasn't one of those mom's who weeped on the first day of kindergarten. He was excited to start school and I was excited for him. Today, after dropping him off at an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people and seeing how nervous he was, I had a hard time. I called my mother-in-law to tell her he was officially at school, and ended up blubbering to her all the way home. I was going to miss my friend and I hoped that he would be okay. I had told his teacher that he would ride the bus home, and then went back and forth on my decision all day - wondering if I should just pick him up. I decided to stick to my original decision (after consulting a couple of sisters and yes, the office) and me and Carter and Ashlyn headed out to his bus stop with camera in hand to greet him after his big first day. The bus was late and then when it finally did show, craziest thing - Isaac wasn't on it. I ran back to the house and called the school to try and figure out what happened. They said they'd check into it and call me back. Meanwhile, I'm a total mess. It would have been bad enough if I hadn't had such a debate all day long. They finally called back and said that they found him, the principal was going to pick him up and that I could get him at the office. I raced to the school and there was a smiley Isaac who had had a great day at school. The first thing he said to me was "Now I get to tell MY kids that I was lost!" What had happened was that at his old school, he got off at the first stop, so when the bus stopped and the neighborhood looked familiar (everything looks the same) he got off - five stops too early. (Yes, I had showed him where his bus stop was and yes, I told him we'd be waiting for him - at least I think on that one!) Thankfully my morning prayers for my son were heard. Another parent noticed him wandering around, looking lost, and called the school. It makes me sick to think of what would have happened without that parent. But other than that, he loved his teacher, he made new friends, he thinks the work is SOOOO easy here (does he not remember what first days are like?) and he's excited to go back tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow, too. I think it will be great!

3 comments:

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

This brought tears to my eyes while reading it. The exact same thing happened to my nephew and I remember how frantic my SIL was. Glad everything turned out okay. I'm sure he will never get off at the wrong bus stop again though.

KID, MD said...

Already!?! School!?! I'm glad he liked it.

DNAgallows said...

I know it hasn't been that long since we saw you. They have grown a bit since. They must be getting plenty of sunlight and water here in AZ ;)