Thursday, February 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Isaac!

On January 19th, Isaac turned the big 8! It's a special birthday for him, but I was so not in the mood to throw a party. My sister, Cari, saved the day by coming the day before and bringing cousins to visit and he invited a few friends over for a birthday "get together." I refused to call it a party so that there were no expectations. I was fully prepared to cancel it and have a baby instead, but we all know that didn't happen. A backyard, pinata, hot dogs, and cupcakes are really all you need for a successful "get together." My nieces approached me at one point to ask when we were starting the games and I said, "What games? You know the rules...this is not a party!" They were pacified with red rover.

Isaac got the first big hit on the pinata. Luckily it lasted for everyone to go through twice.

Ashlyn would only go near it if Lisa guided her. Who doesn't want to whack a pinata?

All the kids were very impressive with their swings. I got a picture of each, but decided my kids were enough to show!

Cupcakes were only allowed on the way outside. Have I mentioned how much I love having a backyard?

Bunch of cute kids....

even if they are a little crazy!


The kids have decided that donuts are the official birthday breakfast of champions. Isaac wanted to light his own candles. See the burn hole in the paper towel? Good thing he's starting cub scouts!


Isaac's birthday was actually a really busy day. After school he went straight to piano and then we picked him up to head to Chuck E. Cheese. He left at 8:45 that morning and didn't get home until the same time that night. The best birthday present of all was having Nana and Papa show up at Chuck E. Cheese for a big surprise. They weren't supposed to arrive until the next night, but decided they needed to see their Isaac on his birthday.

When we got home, we finally had the chance to open the rest of his gifts. His first BB gun! Wahoo!

This gift bag came a few days earlier with Grandma and Grandpa's present in it. I used it the morning of his birthday so he could open one present before school, and then used it again that evening. He had a birthday party a few days later and I had Papa put the gift for the other boy in the same bag, but on the way Isaac said, "I'm really going to miss that bag", so Papa stopped and bought a new one for the other party. I wonder how many more presents that bag will hold in our family!

I can't believe my baby boy is growing up so fast. He's so excited to finally be in cub scouts and can't wait for his baptism in a couple of weeks. He always tries to be thoughtful and will do little extra things, just to make my day better. We sure do love you, Isaac!

3 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

Wow, I believe he is already eight and he will be getting baptized. That is such a huge step. I can't even imagine my little boy being 8 but I am sure it will come way too quickly. Good thing his birthday get together was saved. What a great idea so there are no expectations:) Smart thinking.

The Fam! said...

Tell Isaac Happy Birthday from us. Watch out with that bb gun because "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!" (that was from Jeremy) His birthday looked like lots of fun. I have to agree about loving a backyard. Although, ours is not summer like as yours.

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Issac. What a big man!