Friday, February 5, 2010

Who would have thought?

Isaac turned 8 on January 19th and his first cub scout activity was on the 21st, when I was scheduled to be in the hospital having Ian. Of course, it had to be the Pinewood Derby! We got his car kit about a week before, but didn't have a chance to get to it until the night before. His car became a whole family affair. Between Isaac, Eric, my father-in-law, me and my dad, we finally got it finished for the big race. Of course, me knowing he was turning 8 and starting cub scouts, never thought in advance that he would need a scout uniform. So Dad and Cindy stopped at the scouting store on the way into town to pick up everything he'd need and Cindy very graciously sewed on all of the patches. The shirt's a little big, but it will last him!

I felt horrible about missing his first pinewood derby. I wanted someone to go with him, but felt bad asking because everyone had come to town for the baby (which we were still waiting for!). I had arranged for Isaac to go with a friend, but when I called my Dad to tell him the plans, he said "No, I need to be there for Isaac. We'll take him." I was SOOOO relieved and grateful. What wonderful parents I have!

When they got to the weigh-in, they discovered that Isaac's car was too light. Dad noticed another man breaking weights off of his son's car, so he asked if he could buy a few off of him. He gave them willingly for free, so Dad and Isaac taped the extra weights onto the car. Stylish! Good looking or not, it worked. I kept getting giddy phone calls from my Dad with the latest updates. "Isaac hasn't lost a race yet." "Isaac is 12 out of 12." "Isaac took first place in the Wolve's Den" "Isaac's car just beat the Bear's car." "Isaac is the grand champion!"
We had gone into it hoping that he would win a race or two so that he wouldn't be too disappointed. We have a lot to live up to now. I don't know if I can handle the pressure!
The car is now sitting on top of my refrigerator in it's box so that it remains in tip top condition. Isaac is anxiously awaiting the District Derby....and so is his Grandpa! Welcome to Cub Scouts!

7 comments:

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

What a GREAT grandpa he is..brought tears to my eyes just thinking about my son not going to be able to experience that with my dad. Your parents get the BEST grandparents award!!!

Steph Thomas said...

That is So awesome. What a story. I love it. Yea, to a great family. Chris just became cubmaster so he is going to go do the derby at the end of the month. That was so fun to read about and watch. Thanks:)

Kori said...

Not only is that about the coolest achievement a 8 year old can aspire to, but now Isaac even has a great bedtime story for little Ian about his birthday!

DNAgallows said...

He is a handsome scout! I am glad your dad got to go. I know they both will cherish this memory. I love the video. He has his mom's quiet competitiveness. I also love the boy next to him..."Wow, you are excited...who are you again...you just turned eight? I have to get to know you! You have skills." Congratulations! What an eventful day.

cms87 said...

How fun. My kids loved the video. I can't believe we are going to be starting that soon.

The Fam! said...

Tell Isaac Congrats. What a handsome scout he is. I told my kids, and Ryan said, our Isaac. Matthew then said, yeah our best friend Isaac and Carter.

Janene said...

Seriously?! Is he seriously old enough to be a scout?! I can't believe it. HE looks so grown up in that uniform. Happy Birthday Isaac!