Sunday, October 21, 2007

Long with No Pictures....Are you up for it?

So the fun began when my brother, Steven, and his family showed up on my doorstep Friday afternoon. I knew that he was in Dallas for a business trip (I wasn't supposed to even know that), but I had no idea that he would make it to Temple to visit me. What a great surprise! We visited for awhile, and then he took us all out to Mexican food. The menu lingo is a little different here in Central Texas than it is in Arizona, so it was quite entertaining watching Cyndi order her food.

Cyndi: "I would like a chicken burro with rice and beans."
Waiter: (Blank Stare)
Cyndi: "Can I have it with rice and beans? Oh, it says right here that it comes with rice and beans. "Okay, I want a chicken burro."
Waiter: Another blank stare, then finally...."a burrito?"
Cyndi: "Yeah, a chicken burro with rice and beans and oh, I want it enchilada style."
Waiter: Blank stare
Cyndi: (Putting menu down) "Yep, I want a chicken burro enchilada style please."
Waiter: Really confused blank stare
This is where I decided to jump in
Me: "I was just waiting to see if you guys would figure each other out. She wants a chicken burrito with gravy."
Waiter: "Ahhhh, okay." (Light turned on)
Steven and Cyndi: "Gravy?"
Me: "They're from Arizona. I'm here to translate for you!"

So Cyndi finally got her food and it all tasted great (I just ate her leftovers for lunch!). When we were leaving, Isaac wanted to ride with Uncle Steven and Aunt Cyndi. So he and Carter jumped in the car next to ours - Isaac driving, Carter running all around in the back - and as Eric is putting the booster seat in, Steven gets a little closer and says "Um, I don't know whose car that is, but its not ours." Everybody out! Quick! We really enjoyed their visit and Tillman was lots of fun. Thanks for coming guys!

Saturday was another fun day. Eric had to go into work for a couple of hours, but when he got back we loaded up and head to "Train Park" to see a traveling zoo and play on the trains. While we were driving there, Isaac was hoping that he would see some giraffes and elephants.
Eric: "No, Isaac, I think it will be smaller animals."
Isaac: "Like maybe baby giraffes and elephants?
Eric: "Like maybe goats."
Isaac: Disgusted and horrified "Ughhh!"
Well it wasn't like what any of us thought. The animal man brought a kangaroo, a cockatoo, a skeet (pretty neat, I had never seen one before), a mommy hedgehog and her babies, and a snake. The kids really liked it. It was also family day at the park, so we got to ride the handrails and a few more of the train cars were open. We took them to McDonalds for lunch and then home for naps. Nana surprised us and came over that evening and decided that Eric and I needed a date while she stayed home with the kids. Who are we to refuse? We tried the driving range again. I'm afraid my natural abilities are waning a bit, but I haven't given up yet! We had a lot of fun and got some icecream on the way home. Thanks Debbie! Yesterday was one of the best days I've had in awhile.

Carter has decided that he's a baby like Ashlyn, so often talks baby talk. It's very irritating, so Eric was trying to tell him, again, that that was how Ashlyn talks because she doesn't know any words and that he needed to help teach her words. So Carter turned to Ashlyn, "Say 'words', Ashlyn. Say 'words'." She might not be able to say much, but pretty soon she'll be able to say "words!"

I started the Course II cake decorating class. We only make one cake this time, but LOTS of frosting. I don't know why I ever think that I can go back to school. I can barely keep up with my cake homework! If Eric and the kids can handle it, I'd really like to take Course III when this one is over and then I am done!

Love you all!

6 comments:

Polly said...

I know what Enchilada Style Burrito is, because that's how I would order in Utah also! That's one of my favorite!

You are good at story telling, esp. with all these conversations going on. . . haha.

And where's the train park? I wanna go, too! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun the past weekend. I was just working everyday (even today!)

Steph Thomas said...

Aubrey, I love reading your blog. It is always so much fun! I am taking Course I cake decorating in December and I am so excited for that. Thanks for the posts.

Jen said...

How fun to have your brother and family come visit. It is always nice to get a suprise like that...as long as your house is clean. Mine, I am not sure it would be. :)

I have been wanted to take my girls to the train park here. Maybe now that it has cooled off and after hearing about your fun time I might get around to doing it.

Binghams said...

That is hilarious about the mexican food lingo! When I lived in Utah, we ordered mexican food where I worked. I ordered a burro and they thought I wanted to eat a donkey! So good to hear from you and keep in touch! Happy birthday in three days in case I forget to tell you then! Love ya!

Cassidy said...

So I was sneaking a peek at your blog, and I noticed you know the Mann's! They are tons of fun. Looks like you guys are having fun. I miss Temple and my friends there. I can't believe Ashlyn is so old! Man time flies.

cms87 said...

Aubrey, I LOVE your stories. It sounds as if you guys are really having fun! I miss Texas. :o) Give the kids a big hello and a hug from all of us. And make sure you post a picture of your cake when you finish it.