Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Other October Happenings

With Halloween, Birthdays, and all the October festivities, I didn't want to forget about all the other little happenings.
Isaac and Ashlyn were watching "Baby Einstein" - Ashlyn's favorite. Eric and I were ignoring her requests to watch it, so Isaac put it on for her and they cuddled up on the couch. He takes good care of his sister (most of the time) and she adores her big brother.

Isaac lost his second tooth, and this time I got a picture of it! It was barely hanging on by a thread, but I couldn't get it with my fingers, so I got the pliers out. He had no problem with it and it was quick and painless, but Eric thought I was quite barbaric! That's how my parents used to pull my teeth, so I didn't think anything of it. Barbaric? I think - BRILLIANT!

Carter has been BEGGING me to make "gingerbread men" cookies (i.e. sugar cookies) for months. I've been putting him off because it makes a huge mess and takes forever and I don't really like the cookies. Totally not worth the effort. I finally gave in and I was mostly right. It was a huge mess, it took forever, and the cookies weren't that good - but it was definitely worth effort. Sometimes I get so caught up in me, that I forget that it's okay to do something just for them. We had a GREAT time!



While I was helping Isaac or Ashlyn with something, Carter "just needed a little bit more flour."

We finished off with some hot chocolate and popcorn (and I won't even mention the full mug of hot chocolate spilled or anything else that happened that day! :)) I love my kids!

One of Eric's mom's visions has always been to have a gate for her grandkids to swing on. They got one when they got the horse, but the kids hadn't really swang on it yet. While they were out there the other day, she ran in the house to grab my camera because she just couldn't miss the moment. Now we just need the baseball field and the swimming pond!

Ashlyn has been funny about her bed lately. Early in the month we had to switch her to her toddler bed because she refused to sleep in her crib anymore. Then a few nights later she insisted on sleeping in her cradle that she hasn't slept in since she was a newborn. She's back to her big girl bed now, but DON'T even THINK about leaving her room if you haven't tucked in and kissed her baby "good night" right beside her. Bedtime used to me my favorite time because we would read, sing, and she would peacefully go to sleep. It was a good wind-down for me at the end of the day. Ever since Eric has been back, she won't have a thing to do with me at
bedtime. If I try to take her to bed, she just screams, "DADDY!" She knows what she wants and she's not afraid to let us know.

This month I had a parent/teacher conference for Isaac. His teachers gave a glowing report. They said they just love him! He really is a good boy and tries hard to please. He's doing great on his reading and his comprehension is even better. He's doing well at his other subjects, also.
I was also able to go on a field trip with Isaac to the Public Library. That was the first time that many of the first graders had ever been there. Times like that help me to step back and count my blessings. We had a really great time and I'm looking forward to their spring field trip. Inner Space Caverns...here we come!

1 comment:

Steph Thomas said...

That was fun to read all the happenings in the Chapman household. Thanks!