Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fall Break or bust...and Bust...and BUST again!

Fall Break. What a wonderful concept! I'd been looking forward to it since the day I discovered we had one. A whole week to do whatever we wanted when the weather was actually cool enough to enjoy doing it! I quickly began fantasizing about camping trips, hiking, etc., until Eric's schedule crushed that (but not without giving me fleeting hope first). So I had to change my plans, but that was okay as long as we did something and enjoyed doing it. My first stop was to be Flagstaff (I knew Stacie would have no trouble entertaining us) and then on to Thatcher for my 10 year high school reunion.

The first Saturday of Fall Break is when Carter got sick while our friends were visiting. My poor little boy was miserable. His main symptons were fever and headache, but it was enough to wipe him out. I was hopeful that it would pass quickly since we were scheduled to depart to Flag first thing Monday morning. Sunday I was calling Eric at the hospital - wondering what the few dots were that started appearing on Carter and by Monday afternoon Carter was covered from head to toe in a horrible rash (still with fever and headache). It was in his ears, in his mouth - everywhere. I took him to the Dr., and he said it was just a viral infection. Still - not one we wanted to spread. So much for Flagstaff.

Meanwhile, Eric thought it would be fun if he got the flu. Body aches, chills, cough, congestion, fever, the works. My poor little boy #2 was miserable. He still had go to work by 4:30 every morning, but they were somewhat compassionate and would send him home around noon every day. Why they wanted him there at all, I don't know.

Carter's fever finally broke on Tuesday, and although he was having a hard time eating because of the sores in his mouth from the rash, I called him illness free. I was determined to do something fun, so me and the kids left Eric in bed and set up the tent in the backyard for a little camping trip. This might be my new favorite way to camp! Everything I needed, conveniently a few steps away...including a potty! When Ashlyn was miserable and not sleeping well, instead of not sleeping myself all night long, I took her and plunked her into bed. When Isaac woke up in the middle of the night, needing to go potty, I said "good luck" and stayed cozy in my blankets. When I got a little cold in the early morning, I made sure the kids were snug, then went inside. You get the idea!

However, backyard camping wasn't enough for me, so Wednesday evening, everyone still fever free, we headed to Thatcher for an extra day of fun with Grandma and Grandpa. Thursday morning we woke up with dreams of apple picking at Angle's Orchard and roasting marshmallows over a fire up on Mt. Graham. By the time Grandma got back from the store with our supplies around lunch, Isaac was curled up on the couch, sound asleep - with a fever, while Ashlyn was moaning on the chair - with a fever. Scratch the mountains.

Stacie made it to town Thursday night, bringing with her, Kailan, my lifesaver, to watch my kids so that I could enjoy my reunion festivities. It was also Stacie's 20 year reunion and my Dad's 40 year reunion. Friday the kids were still sick, Carter was still having a hard time eating, and I guiltily left (guilt half from leaving the kids when they were sick and half from being happy to leave the kids while they were sick!) to the assembly and parade, then dinner with friends and the football game, starting to not feel well myself. I'm so glad I didn't miss the reunion. I had such a fun time catching up with old friends. Being out of state for the last several years, it had been a long time since I had seen most of them. After the game we had a get together to just visit, with the promise of more activities the next day. By Friday night, Isaac and Ashlyn were both fever free, so I was excited to take the kids to the family picnic Saturday afternoon so that everyone could meet my family. Not so. Ashlyn started a fever again and lo and behold, so did Carter. Oh, and Eric called to let me know that he had progressed to strep throat. I skipped it all together, tried to sleep off some of my own yuckiness, went to a good friend's baby shower and then enjoyed our catered dinner that night. By the time I got home Sunday, I felt like I had hit a brick wall. I climbed into bed (Eric was at work) and told Isaac he was in charge. He did pretty good and I was able to get some sleep. This saga is getting a little long, even for journal keeping. Ashlyn got considerable worse, we both eventually got better, and then I've spent the last week trying to recuperate mentally after two solid weeks of sickness. Phew! Glad we're done with that!

Fall Break was a little less than fantastic for Isaac (and for me, to be honest), and he was disappointed over all the missed activities, but don't worry - we'll try again in the Spring!

Isaac reading to Carter when he wasn't feeling good. What a good brother!

Poor baby girl! This was into our second week when she was on the "getting worse" side of things.

5 comments:

Kori said...

Of all the rotten luck! Here's hoping you guys are all healthy for Thanksgiving!

DNAgallows said...

Even got some pictures...what else do you do? We were hoping to see you too! Sometime, sometime. Camping sounded great! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

cms87 said...

ugh! It is so not fun being sick. We have coughs at our house but that it all. I hope it stays that way.

The Fam! said...

I am so sorry you guys were sick. We pretty much missed most of October because of the swine flu. Wish I was there to help. Moms really shouldn't be allowed to get sick. It is fun to see how you are doing.

The Fam! said...

Oh ya, hope you had a great birthday through all that sickness.