Thursday, November 19, 2009

WOE is my garden!

Moving to my very own house, with my very own yard, meant my very own garden. A dream come true! The first thing I did when we signed on our house was decide where I was going to put it. The chosen spot was along the west wall where there was abundant sunshine in the morning and then protection from it during the heat of the day. It would be a job, but I knew I could do it and have time to put in a fall garden. Let the planning and work begin!

The rocks were a lot deeper than I realized. The boys and I spent hours...

....and hours...

....and hours moving rocks for what seemed like an eternity. Until one day, we finally had it cleared!

Then I sat on it for awhile until I could swallow the cost of dirt and pavers so that I could make it how I wanted it. Finally, the day came...

Whala!!! My first garden! (Unless you count the one I planted in the fourth grade in Mr. Schnebly's class).

Our troubles first started with our seeds. Apparently while I was waiting for money to grow on my lemon tree, the earth tilted. Who takes that into consideration? My perfect spot with abundant sunshine is now in the shade - 24 hours a day. It just wasn't enough sunlight for my poor little seeds. Not one came up. No radishes or lettuce for us this year.

However, we did not despair. We still had baby brocoli and cabbage plants. We loved watering them with visions of steamed veggies dancing in our heads. Until.....RABBITS! Yes, those cute little animals with fluffy tails have become my mortal enemies. They were sly. They started with a leaf here and a leaf there, and then whole plants began to disappear. Every day the boys would go out and count to see the damage. We tried to plug every access we could think of, and they would tease us - a night with nothing gone, but then they found a way and would strike again. Soon all of the brocoli was gone, but at least the cabbage was surviving. They left it alone for a really long time. And then this morning I went out and this is what I saw....

WOE is my garden!!!!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh sad:( "A" for effort Aubrey! How rude of the earth to TILT!:( I would not have thought about that either!

Lorianne said...

Mr. Schnebs garden!!! Ha ha ! I love that so much!!! You a a crack up! I love your Black Friday story!!! Ha ah ahahha