Sunday, November 1, 2009

LOVED my birthday!

Normally I'm fine with my birthday coming and going with not a lot of mention being made about it, but this was such a good one that I can't let it go without a big "thank you" to those who made it so special.

My birthday was on a Sunday, and Eric had call on Saturday, so Cari, Garrett and their family came to stay the night so that someone would be there to make me breakfast in the morning. Saturday night, Cari and I were real party animals as we each laid on a couch, trying to stay awake and visit, just to enjoy the time. We were in bed by ten. Before the couches, I did whoop her in some card playing.

Sunday morning, Cari made me a delicious breakfast, then played a special birthday edition "How well do you know your Mom/Aunt" game with the kids - all in honor of me. :) Eric made it home just as they were getting ready to leave so that they could make it back home before church.

Eric has been working a lot of long hours and was really worried about me having a lame birthday, with him sleeping the day away - especially being post call. So he took only a half hour nap, at my insistance, then helped me get everyone ready for church. That in and of itself was a nice treat because he's usually gone on Sunday mornings. After church he made dinner, baked me a cake (quite possibly the first one since we've been married), and entertained the kids, all on very little sleep. I could tell he was exhausted, but he refused any help from me and ordered me away whenever I tried. He apologized all day and for the rest of the week for not doing more for me for my birthday. He didn't have time to have the kids make cards, etc, etc... What he doesn't understand is that his all day sacrifice meant more to me than anything else he could have done or given me. I knew the hours he'd been working. I knew how tired he was. I knew how much he'd have loved to crash on the couch, or in bed, for that matter. But instead, he forgot about himself, and did all that he could so that my day wasn't a bust. And he succeeded. Not only was it not a bust, but it was absolutely great.

Thanks to so many of you for your birthday wishes and to Cari and Fam for sacrificing to come and see me. I really appreciated it!

Side Note: Carter was asking me what I wanted for my birthday. I started responding with the usual "hugs and kisses, pictures, etc." when I decided that what I really wanted was for him to clean his room.

"No mom, what else do you want."

"I really want you to clean your room. That's what I want more than anything."

"Mom, not an option." Conversation closed.

1 comment:

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Happy b-day Aubree. I'm so glad you had fun. Erik is such a great guy and he loves you so much. He really is trying so hard. It sounded to me like a great b-day. With the people that you love and they love you too.
BTW Carter story haha hilarious lol