Thursday, November 19, 2009

A little bit of November

My computer crashed in the middle of October, so I haven't been great about posting things. (Isn't it great to have an excuse for once instead of just not doing it?) Eric's laptop has gotten me through when I needed it, but I'm just a desktop kind of gal. My awesome, wonderful husband was able to fix my computer (I thought it was gone forever) - so now I'm back in business. Here's a little bit of our November so far....

Halloween was over, we had our first cold front - it was time to get festive! We made apple turkeys for FHE and the kids had a lot of fun. I was out of toothpicks, and found out that broken off skewers do leave slivers and are a bit of a health hazard - just FYI. My plans were to be doing Thanksgiving crafts all month long....hmmm.....don't our turkeys look great?!?

With Isaac in school, no Matthew (bf from TX) and most of the kids his age in Kindergarden, Carter has finally had to turn to Ashlyn as a playmate and friend. They actually get along remarkably well and I enjoy watching them play. Ashlyn loves following Carter around and feeling like she is in the action. They both insisted the other day that Carter read her a story and put her down for her nap. I was okay with it - until she forgot the nap part! But don't blame Carter, he did his duty, tucked her in and everything.


We have a wild, vast desert (so it seems to me) right outside our house, so I decided to take the kids exploring the other day. It's cold enough that the snakes shouldn't be out, right? My intentions were to head out towards the river, but the kids had different ideas. Who would have thought that the cemented wash behind our house could offer hours of entertainment? Less dirty (slightly), less cactus, more civilization in case I'm attacked by some fierce desert animal - I was game.

The best part was climbing up on the cement walls. Ashlyn wanted help at first, but after I refused (it didn't look safe for a 2 yr old - or a 7 yr old for that matter. I give them a little leash because they're kids, but I don't help them to their doom!) she figured out a way to join her brothers.

You intentionally can't see much in this next picture, but you sure could see anything you wanted in real life. Carter had some business to take care of so he "went off" to have some privacy. I'm standing at the road. Farther away doesn't always mean more discreet.

Nothing is more entertaining than dirt - and boxes - but for this afternoon, dirt.

We stayed out long enough that the kids were pretty exhausted when we got home. I went in to see what was taking Ashlyn so long in the restroom and this is what I found. Poor thing didn't even have the energy to pull her pants up. (They're just baby cheeks - you've all seen them before!)


Reid Park Zoo had a free day last Saturday. Who can pass that up? We went with our friends, the Jones's and had a great time.

I think Ashlyn's favorite was the tiger. Although she really like the peacocks and one of them really liked her. I was afraid for her safety at one point, but didn't think to take a picture of it.

Carter is getting better about picture taking, but it is still somewhat of a painful experience for him (as you can see by his face.) However, I wouldn't let him on the elephant unless he let me take one. You gotta do what you gotta do.

We didn't see any bats while we were there. Carter took care of that one!

How many kids can you fit in a tortoise shell?


Again, probably shouldn't have been on that wall, but look at those faces. Who could resist?

The whole gang. They did wonderful. I actually came out of there with very little stress. I love the zoo!

Natalie, Ashlyn, Chase, Carter, Amy, Isaac, Caleb, Parker

October was the busiest month Eric had had at work by far. I didn't think there were enough hours in the day to top it, but November has it beat. Being compounded onto October, November has been a bit rough, but we are surviving. Who ever thought being pregnant during intern year and in a new place was a good idea? It's little things like this that help make it bearable (for me at least!) -

I don't know how Eric has enough brain capacity left at the end of his long day to be thoughtful, but he always pulls through. I feel bad that between work and family, he never has any time for himself, but I do appreciate how much he loves us.

4 comments:

Robin Conner said...

super cute post. Loved catching up. Loved the turkeys! We'll have to try that tomorrow for FHE! Thanks for the great idea!!! ;) Hows the pregnancy going? What are you having?

Kori said...

Wow. Ashlynn is going to hate that picture when she's older and you get out her baby book and show her boyfriend. But for now, it was the best laugh for the day!

DNAgallows said...

That was a busy month. I am glad we got to come see you! I missed a free zoo weekend. You are way better than I to stay so productively busy. Fun! Your family is so fun. I am very impressed with Eric's thoughtfulness when thoughts are the last thing possible after a long, very long day. What a beautiful family!

Beth said...

I loved the apple turkeys. We copied them because I saw them here on your blog. Happy belated birthday! (Beth Hunt)