Friday, April 16, 2010

My Big Girl Getting Bigger!

Ashlyn turned three on March 7th. Oh joy! I love my baby girl and I love her birthday, but this age isn't one I particularly look forward to. I detest three. However, we'll save this post for happy thoughts!

Grandma and Grandpa came down on Saturday to help us celebrate and to go to Isaac's Pinewood Derby Districts. Isaac made a good showing at the districts, but was disappointed that he didn't place. Ashlyn loved the whole day. Since G and G were coming, I decided to go ahead and decorate and make her cake for while they were here. I confused the whole family. I should have just called it her birthday and gone with it. When the boys woke up and saw the decorations, they hurried and made their own surprise birthday banner and wished her Happy Birthday all day long, even though I told them a gazillion times that her birthday wasn't actually until tomorrow and to save something for the next day.

Grandma and Grandpa always make a good showing with their birthday presents and she loved the baby highchair and Dora movie that she got from them.

She also loved her cake. I knew I couldn't go wrong as long as I had pink icing. I was a little surprised, though, that she told her pediatrician about it with great detail a month later.

I saved the rest of her presents for the next day, on her actual birthday (I remember what day it is!)

Just a few days before her b-day, we were walking through Wal-Mart and she saw a bike and helmet that she wanted soooo bad. I had already bought all of her presents and she had never once mentioned a bike before. I was NOT going to spend any more money. When she didn't stop talking about it, I finally gave in to the ever growing guilt - sort of. I bought the helmet and a can of pink spray paint. We told her that we'd spray Carter's old bike and put the training wheels back on. That was good enough for her. Unfortunately she's still asking "When can we spray Carter's bike so that it's pink?" We're awful parents. I know.


This "fluffy crown that she always wanted" claimed the "favorite birthday present" prize. She loved everything, but this was "it."

What a beautiful princess!

Yet, she chose to wear the bikeless helmet to blow out her candles on corn bread.

Nana and Papa really made the day great by sending her some new clothes. She LOVED her dress. We had time before church, so Eric did a little photo shoot with her. It's not often we get these true genuine smiles on camera.





The boys, of course, had to have their turn.






Then things got really wild...



I love watching Ashlyn mother her babies. She takes great care of them and I often find them buckled in Ian's swing, etc. She is my big helper and I don't know how I ever managed to cook or change a diaper without her! :) She's quick to cuddle up with me and loves to bring me huge stacks of books to read to her. My favorite expression of hers is when she's really happy or proud of herself, but is feeling really bashful about it. It melts me immediately. She's my first child to readily offer up the much anticipated "I love you, Mommy" which is my favorite thing to hear. I love YOU, Ashlyn. Happy Birthday....even if you're three!

1 comment:

Janene said...

She sure is a cutie! I love those pictures in her new dress! Great smiles!