Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spring Break in Flagstaff

Eric had the week of Spring Break off, so we decided we needed a little family trip. We thought it would be fun to go to Flagstaff and let the kids play in the snow before it was all gone, but I was having serious second thoughts as I was inside packing coats instead of outside in our beautiful 70 degree weather. We didn't want all of our beautiful weather to go to waste, so we stopped at Picacho Peak State Park to do a little hiking on our way there.

The kids were super troopers. I was a little nervous about how well Ashlyn would do, but she loved the climb UP. Down was another story, but it was well worth the adventure. It's only 30 mins from our house. I can't wait to go again.


Ashlyn, Ian, and I let the men do the rock climbing and exploring along the way. We decided we'd stay on steady ground. Had I not had Ian attached...

Ashlyn in a "cave." They were all very excited over any little rock indention.

Had to prove that Ian and I were there, too!

The pictures washed out all of the colors, but it was sooooo beautiful. We've had a lot of spring rains, so everything was a brilliant green and there were wildflowers everywhere. I'm so glad we stopped!
As soon as we got to Flagstaff, the kids immediately got to work building their leprechaun traps for St. Patrick's Day. My boys plan for this all year long, and save plenty of supplies. I cleaned out our supply pile several times and we still arrived with a garbage sack full. I don't think they used an eighth of it. Carter dilligently colored his whole trap green. This is quite the feat for a boy who hates to color. His preschool teachers will readily stand by that! We didn't catch any again this year, but those leprechauns sure did cause a lot of chaos! My sister's blog will tell you all about it.


Our first big adventure was to Grand Falls. It's a huge waterfall out in the middle of nowhere. It was really pretty, even if the water is a bit (or more) muddy.

Before you get to the bottom, there's a steep hill of black, soft sand. We spent most of our time there and the kids loved it!

Ashlyn and Hallie

Brooklyn and Ashlyn

Climbing up the soft sand almost gave us a heart attack every time. We're out of shape! Carter decided to hitch a ride.
The boys would run down the hill as fast as they could. I tried to race them, but was scared to death. I'm not quite as free as they are.

Uncle Mark and Ian

What a party!

For some reason, everyone thought it was a good idea to mess with me. Boy did they pay!



The girls decided they were ready to go, so they started loading up.
Everyone else wasn't quite ready.

Most parents would be concerned watching their child race full speed down a hill with a giant stick, but we just yelled "Be Careful!" and took pictures.

Even Ian got a little dirty.

Further down at the bottom they had tons of great rocks for climbing. Heaven for my boys.

Not to mention all the cool little caves.


We left Ashlyn and Ian up at the top. They're not quite as adventurous as the rest of us.
The next day was the one the boys had been anticipating the most...SLEDDING! Okay, so I was looking forward to it, too.
There was a little jump at the bottom of the hill we were sledding on. We didn't always come down perfect, but it added to the excitement.
Carter was able to get some great air...



...but needed a little work on his landing!
Isaac never stopped the whole time we were there.

It was really hard resisting Carter's big grins.
There was always a lot of concentration before he would head down. He wanted it just right so he would fly.

I got Ashlyn to go down with me, but just once. She liked the idea of it more than the actual ride.
The yellow sled was definitely the favorite for speed and air.
This was my first time sledding, so I made everyone ride with me, just so I could go again.

Eric and I didn't quite make it over the jump...

...but we survived!

Taige catching some air.
Carter catching some more air, when he got launched off the front of the sled.

It was great fun!

My niece, Hallie, wanted to ride with me, but then chickened out when we got to the top of the hill. Being the wonderful aunt that I am, I told her to "trust me," grabbed her, and shoved off.

Ummm.....
...she wouldn't ride with me again.

But don't worry, I got Stacie, too!

We're quite the thrill seekers!

A few more pictures of the boys...




The hill we went on wasn't very big, but I had a blast. Eric says he can't wait to take me to a real hill - then I'll see what sledding is all about. I can't wait!

The rest of the time we mostly lounged around. After sledding, the guys asked us gals out on a date and it was really nice to go have some adult time. We also went and played around at the institute one afternoon. Eric and I had to show them how volleyball is really played! (Out of shape style, of course!) Naturally, Stacie and I got several card games in, and it just wouldn't be vacation if we didn't play a little Band Hero as well. The kids were getting irritated at Stacie and I for hogging it, but we had to perfect our skills! We let them play a little. :)

Jordynn was an angel with Ian. She would hear him squeaking at six in the morning and come take him until he was ready to eat. I loved it. It's hard to pass up a few extra minutes on the ol' air mattress!

He loves his bathtime! Or was it just his Aunt Stacie he adores?

Just can't pass up a picture of such a cool dude!

We had so much fun. Thank you, Moore Family, for sharing your Spring Break with us!

2 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

Wow, so much fun. I love that you are wearing an A&M sweatshirt:) Whoop!

Unknown said...

Totally in a grumpy mood until I read your blog. I'm always laughing by the time I'm done. Love ya!