Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Horse, Veggie, and Paint Tales

Nana and Papa bought a new horse "Deucy" (soon to be renamed), so we headed out this last weekend to meet her. Nana just wanted to take carrots to feed her, but the boys absolutely insisted that she have an apple. She was awfully slobbery, but she took it down quick. The boys were so excited and can't wait to ride her when we get back from AZ.


One of the boy's favorite things at Nana and Papa's is their garden. They help to plant some of it, and then one of the first things they want to do when we get there is to see what there is to pick. We got a great haul that we brought home and it fed us for Father's Day! The mash potatoes, baked squash with onion, and fried okra all came from the garden (and the hamburger for the meatballs came from their freezer :)) It was delicious and there's just something about eating your own (somewhat) produce. I can't wait to have my own garden. I brought home a bunch of jalapenos, also, that I'm going to pickle. We did some last year, and my jar lasted two days.


This is Isaac's prize winning cucumber. It's probably too big and seedy to be any good, but he is VERY proud of it. I can't cut it up until he shows all of his friends and I took this picture so that Grandma and Grandpa could see it too.

My ward is doing a cooking class for kids this summer. Because we went out to the farm, we missed the first meeting where they were decorating aprons, so we did it while we were there. Ashlyn just painted paper, but had a great time until she started eating it. Now I just have to sew up the boys'!

Carter was more concerned with making the biggest mess possible instead of painting his apron, but at least he was having fun?

"Please, no more. Let an Artist work..."

Isaac really took his time and had fun painting a scene with a big red bird. I'm sure I'll take and post pictures of them at the cooking class, so you can see the final products then!

No comments: