Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Celebrations

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas. This was our first year ever to spend it by ourselves and we loved it. We definitely felt the lack of and missed family at different times, but had a lot of fun just spending time together. Eric was able to get Christmas Eve off and they didn't make him come in until 9:30 on Christmas, so that was just an added bonus. We've been really blessed!

As I prepared our traditional Chapman family Christmas Eve "snack" feast, Ashlyn was the only one I could get to stick around and keep me company. I tried to bribe them all with sodas if they would stay and hang out, but it didn't last long. At least I can always count on my girl!

I didn't quite get everything, and cut the portions down considerably, but here it is. It was delicious as always! And of course, we had egg nog and IBC rootbeer and cream soda to go along with it.


We played, cooked, hung out for most of the day and then ate, watched a movie, opened our Christmas Eve gifts and acted out the Christmas story. The Christmas story by ourselves was also a first for our family. We didn't get any pictures, but we videod it. I'm a little scared to go back and watch it. Ashlyn refused to be Mary, so my big pregnant self rode the donkey (Isaac) into Bethlehem. Isaac was also a great shepherd and angel (filling in for a, once again, defiant Ashlyn). Carter performed brilliantly as Joseph. Unfortunately, I'm sure our stunning performance will be one that goes down in history.

To keep the kids from sneaking in early and seeing their Santa gifts, we decided to let them all sleep in our room.
Nice try, Ashlyn. No surprise to us, she didn't last long and ended up in her bed after all.


Christmas morning was perfect. I don't think I would have changed a thing about it. It took Ashlyn a minute to realize the kitchen was hers. We uncovered her eyes - and she just stared. We told her Santa brought it - she just stared. We told her that it was hers to keep - and then she got excited. It has already brought hours of entertainment. Thank you, Santa!

After all of the thought, stress, purchases, returns, more purchases, and more returns, I think the boys' favorite gift was the Chuck E. Cheese gift card in their stocking from Santa. I make things way too complicated! Carter was also pretty pumped about his "real" handcuffs. He couldn't wait to take them and show Grandpa and Uncle Cody.

Underwear in our stockings has become quite the joke in our family. For some reason, I always loved getting them when I was younger, but my boys feel much differently. They will continue to get them year after year, for my own personal entertainment. The more the better! Carter was pretty funny as he pulled out pair, after pair, after pair. I think Isaac's face says it all. Ashlyn, on the other hand, was very excited over hers!

Here is a representation of all the kids throughout the morning. I'm not sure where my camera was, but I didn't take very many pictures. They all seemed to love everything and there was no complaining, no arguing, no whining, and no pestering. I think that was the best Christmas present of all!

Ashlyn's Christmas would have been a huge success if the only thing she had gotten was her Cinderella dress. All gift opening had to stop while she suited up, and it didn't come off until her bath that night at Grandma and Grandpa's.

We hope everyone's Christmas was a merry as ours. Amongst all the hub bub that Christmas is, fun as it is, we made a special effort to remember our Savior, Jesus Christ, which became the sweetest part of all our celebrations. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

KID, MD said...

I cannot believe how big Ashlyn is!!! They are all so precious. It looks like y'all had an awesome Christmas.

Mickey said...

As for a successful Christmas Eve and Day, I’ll have to give the Eric Chapman Family an “A+” and add a “Good Job.”

Love Ya Much, Uncle Mickey

Steph Thomas said...

I love reading your blog. You always make me laugh. This post was no different. I laughed many times. Thanks!!

Polly said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas! Ashlyn is so grown up and gorgeous!

It's almost time, right? We are thinking about you. Hope all is well.