Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm just not that German

Isaac had a project at school where they needed to find out where their ancestors were from, decorate a paper doll in their country's traditional clothing, and tell about their heritage and culture. Then they were going to have a multi-cultural dinner, where each student is to bring a main dish from their country of origin for all second graders and their families to enjoy. I gave Isaac the options of countries where our families are from (England, England, England, probably some more England, Scotland, and Germany) and he chose to do his project on Germany. I emailed Meemaw (its her family that's from Germany) and she couldn't remember any specific German traditions, and when I talked to my in-laws, the only food they remember being prepared was Mexican. Our German ancestors immigrated to Central - South Texas and quickly adopted the ways of their neighbors.

Thank goodness for the internet! I think Isaac's heritage doll turned out great, his report was the best we could do, and my mother-in-law found some German recipes online that she emailed to me. I picked a simple, no fail recipe for the dinner tonight. We were golden.

Now I sit here typing as I anxiously await the results of my second batch of Kraut Bierocks. The first batch looked great going into the oven, but my two year old, unbeknownst to me, turned my oven up 125 degrees sometime in the cooking process. Now I'll only have enough for 12 people. I'd love to quickly whip up something else authentic to go with it, but like I said in the title, I'm just not that German.

2 comments:

Rahga said...

saurkraut is very much german and you can buy it in the grocery store. kolache's are also german and down here they have em' in the donut shops, but maybe not where you are. hope it helps.

jamie hoelscher, temple,tx.

daveandlisa said...

That's looks so delicious Aubrey! Wow! You have out done yourself. :0) You're a much better mom than I am though. I would've told Talon he had to do the English thing cause it was much more easy to do.